Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, hello.

Am looking to buy a:

2017 (66 reg)
1.4 i-VTEC Sport (s/s) 5dr
£11,500
40,000 miles on the clock

Is that a good buy?

Will be commute to work and occasional motorway jaunts, maybe 200 mile round trips in the same day when needed.

I think I have read too much and maybe scared myself off of the 1.4 but I do not need "speed", I just need comfort and reliability.

For comparison, it is down to this or a Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR for £2k less.

Truth is, I think the Civic (Black as well) looks fun.

Appreciate any input, thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 1.8 SR and wouldn't describe it as 'fun', although it is a very good motorway car as the engine's well on song on these roads and it pulls really well even in high gear. Never driven a 1.4, but would imagine that it would be similar, if only a little slower. In all respects I love the car! And, yes it will be reliable assuming it's been properly serviced.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2014 Mk IX. 1.4

0-62 is 13 odd seconds. Peak power and peak torque are in the 4200 – 6000 ish RPM band. MPG has dropped by 2-3 since the introduction of E10 petrol.

Short hop (2 -3 mile) cold trips in winter I see 36-40 mpg. In summer 38-42 mpg. General running around in the countryside I get 42-44 mpg, 42-46 in summer. On longish motorway cruises I’ve never had less than 50 mpg. But I’d expect to see less if I was stuck in a crawl around Brum, the M25, Manchester or Leeds.

It can be made to move far better than the 13 second 0-60 time suggests. But to achieve that you’ll be driving on the gearbox and keeping the revs up. The i-vtec will be working nicely. It’s a wonderful gearbox and pedal set and you’ll be using it a lot and block gating will become second nature. Fuel economy will plummet as you do so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.